Believe it or not, we are living in an era where every bit of data is becoming precious day by day.
Hence a need for a data scientist arises who can study the data, extract valuable information and insights (data mining) using tools and techniques from fields likes maths, statistics, computer science, etc.
Simply put, Data science is a multifaceted field where a data scientist deals with the deep analysis of a gargantuan amount of precious data (raw data) and converts them into valuable business information.
What is data science salary?
There is a huge demand for data scientist in the industry currently as data has become the ‘key’ in driving business growth and innovation.
Data scientist are expected to be highly skilled in different domains and not just restricted to the coding part, they are highly sought after and well paid too.
According to glassdoor survey, the average data scientist salary is in 6 figures U.S dollars.
What are the training programs of data science?
There are a handful of data science online courses that are good quality wise and can help you show a path on your preparation to become a data scientist.
The rigorous 9 courses from IBM teaches you the required skills sets and techniques for mastering data science concepts.
The certification program is aimed at beginners and no particular programming knowledge required enrolling to this course.
You will practice several hands-on assignments in IBM cloud using real data science tools and real–world data sets.
In addition to the professional certificate you receive from Coursera, IBM provides a digital badge as an accreditation to your data science skills.
You can learn the course for free or opt for a $39 monthly subscription if want to access to the graded materials and certificate.
- Data science Overview (What is Data Science)
- Learn about Data Science tools : Jupyter Notebooks, R Studio and Apache Zeppelin (Open Source Tools for Data Science)
- Steps involved in tackling a data science problem (Data Science Methodology)
- Introduction to Python Programming (Python for Data Science)
- Foundational knowledge of data extraction using SQL (Databases and SQL for Data Science)
- Learn how to analyse data using Python libraries : Pandas, NumPy, SciPy and Scikit –learn (Data Analysis with Python)
- Use of data visualization libraries in Python: Matplotlib, Seaborn and Folium (Data Visualization with Python)
- General overview of Machine Learning algorithms (Machine Learning with Python)
- Hands –on experience working with real data Capstone project (Applied Data Science Capstone)
Another popular data science tutorial online worth enrolling is this extensive 10 course specialization from John Hopkins University.
A familiarity in Python fundamentals and regression is a prerequisite before enrolling.
The whole 10 course specialization will take around 8 months to complete, however you can opt to pick and choose to learn any individual course in depth.
In order to earn a certificate, it is mandate to complete the hands-on project and opt for monthly subscription plan.
- Introduction to main tools and ideas in the data scientist’s toolbox
- Learn how to program in R and use R for effective data analysis
- Know the basic ways to obtain data
- Exploratory techniques for data summarization. Detailed explanation of plotting systems in R and how to construct data graphics
- Concepts and tools behind reporting modern data analysis in a reproducible manner
- Understand the fundamentals of statistical inference
- Novel uses of regression models
- Basic concepts of prediction functions (overfitting, errorsets, etc) and machine learning (regression, classification, Naive Bayes, etc)
- Data products basics using Shiny, R packages and interactive graphics.
- Data Science Capstone project to get a hands-on experience with data from real world
EDX in partnership with Massachusetts Institute of Technology offers a Micromasters program in Statistics and Data Science.
It is one of your best bet to get an online degree in data science (graduate level) given the content quality and the University standards.
It is comprised of four online courses and a virtually proctored exam to get a hands-on training with the tools and methods used in data science.
The best part, you can use the program credential to apply to their MIT doctoral program or get a credit to pursue master degree in data science online in other universities across globe.
- Master the foundations of data science, statistics and machine learning
- Know how to use probabilistic modeling and statistical inference to analyse big data
- In-depth introduction to machine learning with hands-on Python projects
- Develop and build machine learning algorithms
- Understand all basic probability concepts:
MPP designed by Microsoft is another noteworthy and comprehensive program for data science learning.
It introduces you to the basics of data science tools and programming language and prepares you with the necessary skills to further advance in data science.
It comprises of a total 10 courses with one final project to earn a verifiable certificate.
All the courses are self paced and you can take the courses for free if you don’t want to get certified from them.
- Use Microsoft Excel to explore data
- Use Transact-SQL to query a relational database
- Create data models and visualize data using Excel or Power BI
- Apply statistical methods to data
- Use R or Python to explore and transform data
- Follow a data science methodology
- Create and validate machine learning models with Azure Machine Learning
- Write R or Python code to build machine learning models
- Apply data science techniques to common scenarios
- Implement a machine learning solution for a given data problem
The Harvard University training program in data science is an intensive 9 course program that teaches data science skill sets in R programming environment.
Also, if you come from a stats background and not from a Python world, this is the best data science specialization you should opt for.
As with any other popular MOOCs course, you can entirely audit the course for free if do not need a verified certificate.
- Fundamental R programming skills
- Statistical concepts such as probability, inference, and modeling and how to apply them in practice
- Gain experience with the tidy verse, including data visualization with ggplot2 and data wrangling with dplyr
- Become familiar with essential tools for practicing data scientists such as Unix/Linux, git and Github, and RStudio
- Implement machine learning algorithms
- In-depth knowledge of fundamental data science concepts through motivating real-world case studies
Udacity’s Nanodegree programs are known for high quality content with real world industry projects, detailed project reviews from experts, mentorship, community support, recognition certification and job assistance.
Apart from Coursera and edX, Udacity is the next go to platform to find best online courses for data science.
Some prerequisites before you enroll in this data science Nanodegree program: Python programming with their data analysis library such as NumPy, Pandas and Matplotlib, SQL programming, Statistics, Calculus, Linear Algebra and data visualization.
It has two terms and the duration to finish their courses along with projects is 7 months.
You will receive an industry recognized Nanodegree certification and access to their hiring partner network once you complete the Nanodegree program.
Term 1: Machine Learning for Data Scientist
Term 2: Applied Data Science
In case, you are not willing to opt for the entire Nanodegree program, you can check their free introduction to data science course.
It gives you the foundation knowledge in data manipulation, data analysis with statistics and ML, data communication and working with big data.
This is right now the best data science course online at Udemy.
Taught by Kirill and SuperDataScience Team, the course has got amazing feedbacks and huge enrollments so far.
There are no prerequisites to take this course and you get full time access to the course materials and course completion certificate.
- How to use Tableau for Data mining
- Advanced Data mining with Tableau
- Data modelling with linear and logistic regression
- Building a robust geo demographic segmentation model
- Data wrangling, handling errors and SQL programming
- Data communication
- Present data science projects to stakeholders
This is equally a good data science online course at Udemy if you want a thorough and in-depth understanding of data science toolkits.
Created by 365 careers, both the reviews and enrollment figures are top notch.
As of now, it has 20.5 hours on-demand video with 70 articles and 115 downloadable resources.
- About the field of Data Science
- Descriptive statistics ,Inferential statistics and Hypothesis testing with practical examples
- Introduction to Python and advanced python tools
- How to use advanced statistical methods in Python
- The role of mathematics in data science
- Introduction to neural networks
- Build a neural network from scratch with NumPy
- Introduction to TensorFlow in deep learning
- In-depth understanding of DNN’s : Overfitting, Initialization, gradient descent, etc
- Hands-on experience with deep learning with a business case example
Data Camp can be a good starting point for beginners to practice coding exercises particularly in either Python or R.
Also, Data Camp is the popular choice to get some hands-on practice exercises in R.
Some courses are free to audit and for some you need monthly subscriptions.
Some of the best data courses worth checking in DataCamp:
Edureka offers a data science certificate online course if you are R professional working on a big data project.
A basic understanding of ‘R” is a pre-requisite before you enroll to this course.
You get a certificate of completion with live projects, practical assignments and lifetime access to the course material, 30 hours of live instructor-led online classes, etc.
- Conceptual understanding of statistics, time series and text mining
- Expertise in ML algorithms such as K-Means clustering, decision trees, random forest, Naive Bayes, etc using R
- Introduction to deep learning concepts
- Statistical Inference, data extraction, wrangling and exploration
It is a comprehensive data science certificate program online and helps you master the required skills and tools to become a data scientist.
You can learn the individual courses if you want to gain mastery in a particular skill set and get an individual certificate on that course.
Course 2: Data Science with SAS training
Course 3: Data science with Python
Course 4: Machine Learning
Course 5: Big Data Hadoop and Spark Developer
Dataquest has a data science path track to help you learn the required skills to become a data scientist.
The path with a series of learning steps helps you pick and choose Dataquest course based on skill level.
Each course has a set of real world data for you to practice hands-on and portfolio ready projects
Which data science certification is the best?
Below is our pick of best data science certificate online programs that gives you the required industry recognition to work on big data projects or help get a job in data analytics.
Data Science Council of America (DASCA)
DASCA is a famous credential body for data science profession and is highly valued by a large number of employers around the world.
You have to pay a one-time certification fee that includes Data science handbooks, online learning, digital badging and credential-kit.
Check the certificate link to know more on eligibility requirements and certification process.
EMC DSA Certification – Dell
Dell acquired storage leader EMC in late 2016 and came up with a data science associate professional certification program.
The EMC DSA certification allows data science professionals to acquire experience and knowledge when you are working in big data or other data analytics project.
The Data Science Certificate – Harvard Extension
The professional graduate certificate in data science requires you to complete one statistics course, two electives and one data science course.
Also, the average cost for completing this data science certificate online is $11,000.
Might be a bit costly, but if you really need to take this certificate as your job profile demands it or you are venturing into the field of data science , in either case, it is totally worth the investment.
It takes on an average 1.5 years to three years to complete all the 4 courses online.
In case you want a master degree in data science online, check their data science degree program.
Where can I learn data science for free?
One of the excellent ways to go for free training in Data science is through MOOC platforms like Coursera, EDX and even Udemy has a few.
You can always audit some the course for free and skip the assignment and certificate part if you don’t want to pay.
Apart from that you can browse YouTube Channels and follow communities and blogs to get insights and updates in data science related topics.
Some YouTube Playlist worth checking:
Online Resources useful for Data science learning:
DataScienceWeekly.org – Newsletter
Data Science Tutorials and Insights – Codementor Community
Datasciencedojo – Blog
SimplyStatistics.org – Stats for Data Scientists
Let us know in the comments sections what are your best picks for data science learning?
Happy Data Learning!